The castle was altered in the 1710s, then in 1790 supposedly by Robert Adam (1728-92), and extended again in 1820 and 1928.
A fire in 1969 necessitated the complete restoration of the 18th and 19th century sections of the house.
It is still occupied and is now the seat of the Drummonds of Megginch (Barons Strange). Inside the principal rooms are located on the first floor; the inter-connected drawing room and library feature fine ceilings and grand marble chimney-pieces.
On display is an unusual collection British birds dating from 1840.
To the northwest of the house is a 19th-century stable block, with an unusual octagonal doocot in its courtyard, which features open Gothic arches below and a bellcast roof which is almost oriental in style.
To the north is a small chapel dating from 1781, built on the site of another dating from 1689.